"Reaching the Unreached"
What is E-Governance?
It is the use of a range of modern Information and Communication Technologies such as Internet, Local Area Networks, mobiles etc. by Government to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, service delivery and to promote democracy
Governance : An Information perspective
- Representative democracy relies on supposition that best way to make a decision is wider participation for all its citizens having access to relevant information.
- Government is by nature an information intensive organization.
- Information is power and information management is political .
Governance : In IT framework
- Expansion of Internet and electronic commerce, is redefining relationships among various stake holders in the process of Governance.
- A new model of governance would be based upon the transactions in virtual space, digital economy and dealing with knowledge oriented societies.
- Electronic Governance is an emerging trend to re-invent the way the Government works.
E-Governance : Focus
- Greater attention to improve service delivery mechanism
- Enhancing the efficiency of production
- Emphasis upon the wider access of information
E-Governance vs. E-Government
"Government's foremost job is to focus society on achieving the public interest."
"Governance is a way of describing the links between government and its broader environment - political, social and administrative."
|electronic service delivery||electronic consultation|
|electronic workflow||electronic controllership|
|electronic voting||electronic engagement|
|electronic productivity||networked societal guidance|
eGovernment can transform citizen service, provide access to information to empower citizens, enable their participation in government and enhance citizen economic and social opportunities, so that they can make better lives, for themselves and for the next generation.
Governments are specialized institutions that contribute to governance. Representative governments seek and receive citizen support, but they also need the active cooperation of their public servants. Governance is the outcome of politics, policies, and programs.
|eGovernance Standards||-||Describes the standards and architecture for e-Governance applications|
|The Framework for e-Governance||-||Information on National e-Governance Framework|