One Day Pilot Workshop on KOHA - 4 August 2018
National Virtual Library of India (Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India)
August 4th, 2018 to August 4th, 2018
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Duration and Venue|
|Who Should Attend||Course Fee and Certification||How to Apply|
|Note||Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
click here to download the Schedule
IIT Bombay has created a series of Spoken Tutorials on Koha, an open source integrated library management software, under the 'National Virtual Library of India (NVLI) project'. In this regard, we are conducting a pilot workshop on 'Koha' for Library staff and Library science students.
The workshop will be conducted through the award-winning Spoken Tutorial methodology developed at IIT Bombay. As a result, there shall be no lectures. Participants will learn 'Koha' by listening to Spoken Tutorials and practising them on live 'Koha' software.
As this workshop emphasizes learning by doing, it is very effective, as opposed to listening to lectures. It increases the self-confidence of learners. Anyone who undergoes this workshop can themselves conduct such a workshop.
What is Koha?
Koha is a state of the art library management software. It is open source software and hence one can use it free of cost. Koha allows total customization and complete control of library data at a fraction of the cost of a proprietary system. It’s main strength is its web accessibility and ease of use. Libraries do not have to install the software on staff and user terminals. Koha supports all library housekeeping activities such as Acquisition, Cataloging, Circulation, Serial Control, Patron Management, and OPAC. It also supports Web 2.0 tools. Thus, Koha can be readily configured to the needs of each library and is updated with new features frequently.
Following topics will be covered in this course :
- Overview of Koha
- Installation of Koha
- Create a Library
- Create a Superlibrarian
- Add an Item type
- Create MARC Framework
- Set Currency
- Add Budget & Fund allocation
- How to place an order for a Book
- Catalogue Serial subscriptions
- Add subscription in Serials
- Receive Serials
- Close a Budget
- Global system preferences
- Access to self-Library account in OPAC
This workshop will be conducted using Spoken Tutorial methodology. Participants will learn 'Koha' by listening to Spoken Tutorials and practising them on live 'Koha' software.
Prof. Kannan Moudgalya, Principal Investigator, NVLI and Spoken Tutorial Project
Prof. Uma Kanjilal , Director Library Sciences, IGNOU
Dr. Manju Naika, Central Library, IIT Bombay
Ms. Samruddhi Hawaldar, Central Library, IIT Bombay
Dr. Bella Tony, Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay
This is a one day workshop at IIT Bombay on Saturday, 4 August 2018 from 9.30 AM to 6.00 PM. The workshop venue is Software lab 202, 2nd floor, New CC Building, Adjacent to KReSIT Building, IIT Bombay, Powai- 400076
This workshop is open for any Library science student/ Library staff who are interested to learn open source integrated library software ‘Koha’. We would prefer people who do not know about KOHA but those who know about KOHA are also welcome.
Also, they should know one or more of the following:
- Should know English
- Should have basic knowledge of Computer
- Should know how to write emails
The course fee for the workshop is Rs. 500/- (Includes Lunch and Tea) per participant, which needs to be paid during the online registration. Please note that the course fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Spot registration: If seats are available, Rs. 600/- (Includes Lunch and Tea).
IMP : Course Fee is inclusive of all taxes.
Enrolment will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained. The Online registration for this course starts from 23 July 2018.
The last date of registration is 2 Aug 2018.
Registration process for this Course:
- Sign up using your valid email id. Remember your email id and password for future programs.
- After verification of your sign up, your account will be created on the Lakshya website.
- Login on the website with the verified account.
- Go to Announcements, select the course, and register.
- After successful registration, you will receive an automated email.
- Participants are required to bring earphones, as they will have to listen to video tutorials. For those who don't have, low-cost earphones will be made available at a cost of Rs.50 each.
- Participants will have to make their own travel and/or accommodation arrangement for the workshop. Also, there is no provision of any TA/DA.
- E-certificate will be provided to the participants after successful completion of the workshop and filling up the feedback form.
Dr. Kalpana Kannan
Ground Floor, Admin Section, T10kT Lab, Kanwal Rekhi Building,
Department of Computer Science & Engineering,
IIT Bombay, Powai,
Mumbai - 400 076