Workshop on data analytics using R on 05 March 2022
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
Workshop on data analytics using R on 05 March 2022 registration instructions for foreign participants. Register here
R (http://www.r-project.org/) is a Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) - a well-organized and sophisticated package - that facilitates data analysis, modeling, inferential testing, and forecasting. It is a user-friendly software that allows the creation of new function commands to solve statistical problems. It runs on various UNIX platforms (and similar systems such as LINUX), Windows, and Mac OS X.
R is one of the most preferred open-source languages for analytics and data science. The cross-platform compatibility of R and its capacity to handle large and complex data sets makes it an ideal tool for academicians to analyze data in their labs.
R can be used for simple calculations, matrix calculations, differential equations, optimization, statistical analysis, plotting graphs, etc. Also, it is useful for anybody who wishes to undertake extensive statistical computations and data visualization. R allows you to develop custom Artificial Intelligence apps to deploy within your organization. It has numerous packages that are used in the field of machine learning.
The FOSSEE (Free/Libre and Open Source Software for Education) project at IIT Bombay (https://fossee.in) has been promoting R, and other FLOSS, such as Scilab, Python, OpenFOAM, eSim, Osdag, OpenModelica, R, Drupal and Linux, and open-source hardware, such as Arduino and OpenPLC.
The R workshop is organized by the Teaching Learning Centre (ICT) at IIT Bombay, funded by the Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (PMMMNMTT) along with the FOSSEE and Spoken Tutorial Projects. These projects are funded by NMEICT, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
Methodology of the Workshop
The workshop will be conducted using live lectures and sessions involving demonstration along with side-by-side learning. You will also be introduced to a learning resource, Spoken Tutorial. At the end of the workshop, there will be a discussion between the participants and teachers to clarify all doubts related to the material taught.
All participants will get the R software, Spoken Tutorials on R, copies of our slides, video recording of all lectures, R code for several science and engineering textbooks, R Lab Migration documents with code, and R Case Studies. They will also get exposed to the collaborative content creation activity of the FOSSEE Project.
Benefits of the Workshop
On successful completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Learn basic R programming
- Learn to perform data visualization
- Learn how to do basic statistical analysis using R
- Certificate for attending the R workshop
- Data types - Discrete data and Continuous Data
- Data analysis for discrete data
- Univariate frequency/probability distribution
- Bar Plot and Pie Chart
- Bivariate discrete data analysis
- Cross Tabulation (frequency/probability)
- Stack Bar Plots
- Testing of hypothesis
- Chi-squared test
- Confidence interval
- Data analysis for continuous data
- Mean, standard deviation, range, skewness and kurtosis
- Bivariate continuous data
- Z-score and t-statistic
- Testing equality of two means
- Data summary using skimr package
- Prof. Kannan Moudgalya, Faculty, Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Prof. Radhendushka Srivastava, Faculty, Mathematics, IIT Bombay
- Dr. Siddhartha Roy, Associate Director, Advanced Analytics Lead, Gainwell Technologies
- FOSSEE, IIT Bombay
Who Should Attend
The R workshop will be useful for the below discipline:
- Social Science
Duration and Venue
One day workshop on 5 March 2022 with online, interactive, hands-on sessions for 6 hours.
Criteria for Certification
Participation certificates, in an electronic form, will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the workshop
₹ 450 (inclusive of GST)
₹ 950 (inclusive of GST)
₹ 2950 (inclusive of GST)
Please note that the registration fee once paid is neither refundable nor adjustable under any circumstances.
How to Apply
The application will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained. The link for online registration is:
The registration form will be available until 03 March 2022, 12 noon.
As the workshop is conducted online, it is mandatory to have a desktop/ laptop with an external mouse and a working internet connection with good bandwidth. The laptop should be capable of running R/RStudio software.
R version 3.4.4 or higher and RStudio version 1.1.463 or higher
Following operating systems can be used for installing R/RStudio:
- Windows: 64-bit, Windows 7 or above.
- Linux 64 bit: Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04.
- Mac OS X: 10.8 (macOS Lion) or above
- Any queries related to R can be asked through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any queries related to spoken tutorials on R can be asked through Spoken Tutorial Forums.
- Any other general queries about the workshop can be sent to email@example.com.
Address For Communication
Ms. Priti Ghuikar Dod
Assistant Project Manager
Department of CSE, Kanwal Rekhi Building,
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay,
Mumbai - 400 076.
Website - www.it.iitb.ac.in/nmeict