R Beginner workshop on 28 November 2020
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
Registration date extended till 27 November 2020, 02:00 PM
R (http://www.r-project.org/) is a Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) - a well organized and sophisticated package - that facilitates data analysis, modeling, inferential testing, and forecasting. It is a user-friendly software that allows creating new function commands to solve statistical problems. It runs on a variety of UNIX platforms (and similar systems such as LINUX), Windows and Mac OS X.
R is one of the most preferred open-source languages for analytics and data science. The cross-platform compatibility of R and its capacity to handle large and complex data sets makes it an ideal tool for academicians to analyze data in their labs.
R can be used for simple calculations, matrix calculations, differential equations, optimization, statistical analysis, plotting graphs, etc. Also, it is useful for anybody who wishes to undertake extensive statistical computations and data visualization.
R allows you to develop custom Artificial Intelligence Apps to deploy within your own organization. It has numerous packages that are used in the field of ML.
The FOSSEE (Free/Libre and Open Source Software for Education) project at IIT Bombay (https://fossee.in) has been promoting Synfig Studio, and other FLOSS, such as Scilab, Python, OpenFOAM, eSim, Osdag, OpenModelica, R, Drupal and Linux, and open source hardware, such as Arduino and OpenPLC. The FOSSEE Project is funded by NMEICT, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
Methodology of the Workshop
Interested participants have to register online and pay the registration fee. The registration form will be available until 26 November 2020.
The “R” workshop will comprise of practising relevant pre-recorded Spoken Tutorial videos with side-by-side learning, and problem solving. There will be online live sessions and demonstrations by experts. Help will be available from experts and Teaching Assistants.
The following topics will be taught to the participants who are attending the “R” workshop. Depending on the level of the participant, one can learn any/all of the topics mentioned below. If one cannot complete all the topics, one can complete them later on through self-learning, as all required Spoken Tutorials are freely available.
- Working directories in RStudio
- Merging and Importing Data
- Plotting Histograms and Pie Chart
- Introduction to ggplot2
- Aesthetic Mapping in ggplot2
- Data Manipulation using dplyr Package
- Pipe Operator
- How to create Rmarkdown file in R
- Simulation/Animation using R.
- Prof. Kannan M Moudgalya, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Prof. Radhendushka Srivastava, Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay
- FOSSEE and Spoken Tutorial Teams, IIT Bombay
This workshop will be useful to the students, faculty, and working professionals from Engineering, Science and Social Science background.
The workshop will be conducted online on Saturday, 28 November 2020, from 9.30 A.M to 5.30 P.M
Participation certificates will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the workshop in an electronic form.
The application will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained.
The link for online registration is :
The last date of registration is 26 November 2020, 4 pm.
- As the workshop is conducted online, it is mandatory to have a desktop/ laptop with an external mouse and a working internet connection with good bandwidth. The laptop should be capable of running R/RStudio software.
- It is mandatory to have the R version 3.4.4 or higher and RStudio version 1.1.463 or higher installed in the system to attend the workshop. The installation sheet is available here.
- Following operating systems can be used for installing R/RStudio: