ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced 1 week workshop ending on 05 December 2020
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
The ChemCollective Virtual Lab is a simulation of a chemistry Lab. It is designed to help students perform Laboratory chemistry experiments. The Lab allows students to select from hundreds of standard reagents (aqueous) and manipulate them in a manner resembling a real Lab.
ChemCollective Virtual Lab software works on Windows, Mac and Linux machines and is avaiLable free of charge to all educators and students.
The FOSSEE (Free/Libre and Open Source Software for Education) project at IIT Bombay (https://fossee.in) has been promoting FLOSS, such as SciLab, Python, OpenFOAM, eSim, Osdag, OpenModelica, R, Drupal and Linux, and open source hardware, such as Arduino and OpenPLC. The FOSSEE Project is funded by NMEICT, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
Methodology of the Workshop
Interested participants have to register online and pay the registration fee. The registration form will be avaiLable until 27 November 2020. The registered participants will receive an email with an assignment, samples of which are listed here. This assignment should be completed using ChemCollective Virtual Lab software. Participants will have to complete the assigned assignment task within 6 days of receiving the email. Those who are not familiar with ChemCollective Virtual Lab can refer to the first 8 spoken tutorials available here to learn the basics of ChemCollective Virtual Lab.
The submitted assignment will then be reviewed by the ChemCollective Virtual Lab expert team. If the submitted assignment is approved, the participants will be allowed to attend the “ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced” workshop. If the submitted assignment is not approved, registration of the participant will be automatically transferred to the “ChemCollective Virtual Lab Beginner” workshop. No separate fee will be charged for the participants who are moved from the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced to the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Beginner workshop. The decision of the FOSSEE team about the approval/rejection of the assignment is final. No request for refund of fee will be entertained, in case any participant doesn’t qualify to attend the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop. Final list of participants who are selected for the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop will be announced on 3 December 2020.
The “ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced” workshop will involve practising advanced Spoken Tutorials on ChemCollective Virtual Lab, supported by live online demonstrations, and problem solving.
There will be two parts to this workshop:
- Self-learning of ChemCollective Virtual Lab through Spoken Tutorials, completing the screening task, and getting qualified.
- Attending an interaction session, during which, the following activities will be completed: Practicing ChemCollective Virtual Lab using pre-recorded spoken tutorials and solving a problem for each of the following topics.
- Determine Heat of Reaction
- Reactivity Series (Metal displacement reactions)
- Determine Equilibrium Constant
- Determine Solubility Product
- Gravimetric Analysis
- Determine Acid Dissociation Constant
The above will be supported by live sessions, demonstrations, and problem solving.
One has to successfully complete both of the above activities to be eligible for the Certificate.
- Prof. Kannan M Moudgalya, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay
- FOSSEE and Spoken Tutorial Teams, IIT Bombay
The ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop will be useful for:
- School teachers and Junior college teachers (TGTs and PGTs)
- Faculty in Science, Engineering and Polytechnic Colleges and Institutes, who teach chemistry courses for undergraduate first year
- College Students (first year undergraduate students)
- School students (classes 11 and 12)
Intended participants must be well aware of the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Spoken Tutorials available under the basic level.
Please note that the participation in the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop is subject to the approval/disapproval of the submitted assignment as mentioned under the “Methodology of the Workshop” section.
The interaction session of the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop will be conducted online on Saturday, 05 December 2020 from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Participation certificates, in an electronic form, will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the workshop.
The application will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained.
The link for online registration is
The registration form will be available until 27 November 2020. The registered participants will receive an email consisting of one of the assignments listed here. The allotted assignment should be completed using ChemCollective Virtual Lab. Participants will have to complete the allotted assignment task within 6 days of receiving the email. If one is not familiar with ChemCollective Virtual Lab, one can refer to the first 8 spoken tutorials available here: Search Tutorials | spoken-tutorial.org, to learn the basics of ChemCollective Virtual Lab.
The submitted assignment will then be reviewed by the ChemCollective Virtual Lab expert team. If the submitted assignment is approved, the participants will be admitted to the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop. If the submitted assignment is not approved, those participants will be automatically registered to the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Beginner workshop. No separate fee will be charged for the participants who are moved from ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced to the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Beginner workshop. The decision of the FOSSEE team about the approval/rejection of the assignment is final. No request for refund of fee will be entertained, in case any participant doesn’t qualify to attend the ChemCollective Virtual Lab Advanced workshop.
- As the workshop is conducted online, it is mandatory to have a desktop/ laptop with mouse and a working Internet connection with good bandwidth. The laptop should have sufficient resources to run the software ChemCollective Virtual Lab.
- Assignment to be done using ChemCollective Virtual Lab will be assigned by us.
- The submitted assignment will be reviewed by ChemCollective Virtual Lab team, FOSSEE, IIT Bombay.
- The decision of approval/rejection of assignment by the FOSSEE team will be final.
- It is mandatory to have ChemCollective Virtual Labs Version 2.1.0 installed in the system to attend the workshop. The installation sheet is available here.
- Following operating systems can be used for installing ChemCollective Virtual Lab:
- Windows: 32/64-bit, Windows 7 or above
- Linux: Ubuntu 16.04 or above
- Mac OS X: 10.7 or newer
- Any queries related to assignments write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any queries related to spoken tutorials on ChemCollective Virtual Lab can be asked through Spoken Tutorial Forums.
Any other general queries about the workshop can be sent to email@example.com.