Synfig Studio Advanced 1 week workshop ending on 31 October 2020
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
Last date of registration for 'Synfig Studio One Week Workshop ending on 31 October 2020' has been extended till 23 October 2020
Synfig Studio is a free and open source 2D animation software. This software can be used in Ubuntu, Windows, and MacOSX. With the help of this application, you can create high quality vector drawings, animate cartoon characters, and import and animate bitmap images. Features, such as gradients, bones, distortions, convertors, effects, and many other tools, enable the user to create easy and productive output. This powerful software helps create web animations, film-quality animations, E-learning animations, and much more.
The FOSSEE (Free/Libre and Open Source Software for Education) project at IIT Bombay (https://fossee.in) has been promoting Synfig Studio, and other FLOSS, such as Scilab, Python, OpenFOAM, eSim, Osdag, OpenModelica, R, Drupal and Linux, and open source hardware, such as Arduino and OpenPLC. The FOSSEE Project is funded by NMEICT, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
Methodology of the Workshop
Interested participants have to register online and pay the registration fee. The registration form will be available until 23 October 2020. The registered participants will receive an email with an animation assignment, samples of which are listed here. This assignment should be completed using Synfig Studio. Participants will have to complete the assigned animation task within 6 days of receiving the email. Those who are not familiar with Synfig Studio can refer to the first 8 spoken tutorials available here: Search Tutorials | spoken-tutorial.org, to learn the basics of Synfig Studio.
The submitted animation will then be reviewed by the Synfig Studio expert team. If the submitted animation is approved, the participants will be allowed to attend the “Synfig Studio Advanced” workshop. If the submitted animation is not approved, registration of the participant will be automatically transferred to the “Synfig Studio Beginner” workshop. No separate fee will be charged for the participants who are moved from the Synfig Studio Advanced to the Synfig Studio Beginner workshop. The decision of the FOSSEE team about the approval/rejection of the animation is final. No request for refund of fee will be entertained, in case any participant doesn’t qualify to attend the Synfig Studio Advanced workshop. Final list of participants who are selected for the Synfig Studio Advanced workshop will be announced on 29 October 2020.
The “Synfig Studio Advanced” workshop will involve practising advanced Spoken Tutorials on Synfig Studio, supported by live online lectures, demonstrations, and problem solving.
There will be two parts to this workshop:
- Self-learning of Synfig Studio through Spoken Tutorials, completing the screening task, and getting qualified.
- Attending an interaction session, during which, the following activities will be completed: Practicing Synfig Studio using pre-recorded spoken tutorials and solving a problem for each.
- Basic bone animation
- Cutout animation
- Rocket animation
- Underwater animation
The above will be supported by live sessions, demonstrations, and problem solving.
One has to successfully complete both of the above activities to be eligible for the Certificate.
- Prof. Kannan M Moudgalya, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay
- FOSSEE and Spoken Tutorial Teams, IIT Bombay
This Synfig Studio Advanced workshop will be useful to students, faculty, and working professionals from the design, animation and allied fields who have a working knowledge of Synfig Studio and are already well aware of the Synfig Studio Spoken Tutorials available under the basic level.
Please note that the participation in the Synfig Studio Advanced workshop is subject to the approval/disapproval of the submitted animation as mentioned under the “Methodology of the Workshop” section.
The interaction session of the Synfig Studio Advanced workshop will be conducted online on Saturday, 31 October 2020 from 10 A.M to 5 P.M
Participation certificates, in an electronic form, will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the workshop.
Participants who attend the workshop will be given an option to act as a TA (Teaching Assistant) for the Synfig Studio-Beginner workshop to be conducted on 07 November 2020. All such participants will be given a TA certificate. Details about the responsibilities of a Teaching Assistant will be informed later.
The application will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained.
The link for online registration is :
The registration form will be available until 23 October 2020. The registered participants will receive an email consisting of one of the animation assignments listed here. These assignments should be completed using Synfig Studio. Participants will have to complete the assigned animation task within 6 days of receiving the email. If one is not familiar with Synfig Studio, one can refer to the first 8 spoken tutorials available here: Search Tutorials | spoken-tutorial.org, to learn the basics of Synfig Studio.
The submitted animation will then be reviewed by the Synfig Studio expert team. If the submitted animation is approved, the participants will be admitted to the “Synfig Studio Advanced” workshop. If the submitted animation is not approved, those participants will be automatically registered to the “Synfig Studio Beginner” workshop. No separate fee will be charged for the participants who are moved from Synfig Studio Advanced to the Synfig Studio Beginner workshop. The decision of the FOSSEE team about the approval/rejection of the animation is final. No request for refund of fee will be entertained, in case any participant doesn’t qualify to attend the Synfig Studio-Advanced workshop.
- As the workshop is conducted online, it is mandatory to have a desktop/ laptop with mouse and a working Internet connection with good bandwidth. The laptop should have sufficient resources to run the software Synfig Studio.
- Animation assignments to be done using Synfig Studio will be assigned by us.
- The submitted animations will be reviewed by Synfig Studio team, FOSSEE, IIT Bombay.
- The decision of approval/rejection of animation assignment by the FOSSEE team will be final.
- It is mandatory to have Synfig Studio Version 1.2.2 installed in the system to attend the workshop. The installation sheet is available here.
- Following operating systems can be used for installing Synfig Studio:
- Windows: 32/64-bit, Windows 7 or above
- Linux: Ubuntu 16.04 or above
- Mac OS X: 10.8 (macOS Lion) or newer
- Any queries related to assigned animations can be asked through FOSSEE Forums. Alternatively, you can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any queries related to spoken tutorials on Synfig Studio can be asked through Spoken Tutorial Forums.
- Any other general queries about the workshop can be sent to email@example.com.