One day pilot workshop on DSpace on 13 February 2021
National Virtual Library of India (NVLI), Ministry of Culture
February 13th, 2021 to February 13th, 2021
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
DSpace is a free and open source repository software package, generally used for creating and managing repositories of digital content. Basically, DSpace is a digital archival system which has the best features of content management systems and document management systems. DSpace is used for long-term storage, access and preservation of digital content. DSpace runs on operating systems such as Linux, Ubuntu, Solaris, Windows and Unix.
DSpace is a single integrated application that offers structured workflow for document submission, access controls by group and community for access levels of
anonymous access, read, edit, submit, approve and administer, full text indexing of PDFs, Word and other formats, keyword searching frameworks, integration with other library software, repositories, Google Scholar, etc.
DSpace training will be offered using the award-winning Spoken Tutorial methodology. The IIT Bombay Team has created high-quality DSpace Spoken Tutorials, especially suitable for self-learning. Participants will learn 'DSpace' by listening to Spoken Tutorials and practicing them on 'DSpace' software. There will be live interactions between the participants and DSpace experts at IIT Bombay. Thus, this workshop will be conducted through a blended mode. This workshop is organized under the aegis of the National Virtual Library of India, funded by the Ministry of Culture.
Methodology of the Pilot Workshop
This workshop is limited to the invited users only, IIT Bombay will send the invitation link for the online registration. This workshop is conducted for two different audiences. It is limited to the Librarians/ library staff and system administrators from each institution. To participate in this workshop, invited participants have to register online. All the registered participants will attend the workshop from their homes, offices or any other convenient place. Virtual classroom systems will be used to interact with participants. There will be live video interactions and Spoken Tutorial sessions during the workshop. During the Spoken Tutorial sessions, participants are expected to learn DSpace using a side by side method. There will be a separate classroom created for two different audiences (librarian & system administrators) during the practice sessions in the workshop.
Benefits of the Workshop
On successful completion of the workshop, librarians will be able to
- Provide access to users using standard protocol
- Set up digital repository to archive and publish digital content
- Organise digital contents in hierarchical manner
- Manage user authorisations to content in digital repository
- Ingest and review contents in digital repository
- Batch ingestion of content in digital repository
On successful completion of the workshop, System Administrator will be able to
- Install DSpace on Windows 10 / Ubuntu Linux 18.04 Operating Systems
- Configure Email settings of DSpace to send/receive emails
- Customise DSpace User Interface
Following topics will be covered in this workshop:
- Overview of DSpace
- DSpace installation on Windows and Ubuntu Linux OS
- Email configuration for DSpace
- Customization of DSpace Home Page
- User Registration in DSpace
- Managing DSpace user accounts
- Create Community and sub-community
- Create Collection
- Item submission in DSpace
- Item Review in DSpace
- Batch import of Items
Please note that the medium of instruction for this workshop is English.
Prof. Kannan Moudgalya, PI, NVLI and Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay
Dr. Manju Naika, Central Library, IIT Bombay
NVLI and Spoken Tutorial Team, IIT Bombay
This workshop will be provided to two types of participants:
(1) Librarians, who will need training on the use of DSpace software.
(2) System Administrators, who will need training on the installation, customization and maintenance of the DSpace software
The workshop will be conducted online on 13 February 2021 from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM.
This workshop will be conducted online through a blended mode, using both live video conferencing facility and hands-on sessions.
Participation certificates, in an electronic form, will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the assigned tasks given as part of the workshop to a satisfactory level.
The workshop is completely free of cost for all participants.
The workshop is funded by the National Virtual Library of India, Ministry of Culture.
Enrollment will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained. The online registration for the DSpace workshop will start on 18 January 2021. The last date of registration is 2 February 2021.
Registration process for this workshop:
- To participate in this workshop, you need to have an invitation email from eoutreach team, IIT Bombay.
- After clicking the invitation link you will get the registration form. If you wish to attend the workshop you must fill up the registration form.
- After you submit the registration form for the DSpace workshop, you will receive an automated confirmation email.
- Press the “Decline” button, if you are not participating in the workshop.
Registration URL:- http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/nmeict
It is mandatory to have a desktop/laptop with an internet connection.
The recommended minimal hardware/software configuration for desktop/laptop is as follows.
- 4GB RAM
- 20GB Free Space on hard disk drive
- OS- Windows 8 / Windows 10 OR Ubuntu 18.04 or higher