3 Day workshop on Chemistry Laboratory Experiments using ChemCollective Virtual Lab
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
February 25th, 2021 to February 27th, 2021
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
The ChemCollective Virtual Lab is a simulation of a chemistry lab. It is designed to help students perform chemistry laboratory experiments. The lab allows students to select from hundreds of standard reagents (aqueous) and manipulate them in a manner resembling a real lab. The ChemCollective Virtual Lab software works on Windows, Mac and Linux machines and is available free of charge to all educators and students.
The FOSSEE (Free/Libre and Open Source Software for Education) project at IIT Bombay (https://fossee.in) has been promoting Moodle, and other FLOSS, such as OpenFOAM, Scilab, Python, eSim, Osdag, OpenModelica, R, Drupal and Linux, and open source hardware, such as Arduino and OpenPLC. The FOSSEE Project is funded by NMEICT, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
Methodology of the Workshop
The workshop will be for 3 days, 6 hrs of lectures/hands on session on each day. The workshop will be conducted using a mix of pre-recorded spoken tutorial videos with side by side learning and live lectures. A practice problem/assignment will also be provided after every topic followed by discussions on them to get a good understanding of each topic.
All participants will get the ChemCollective Virtual Lab software, Spoken Tutorials on ChemCollective Virtual Lab, copies of our slides, several solved problems. Using these all who are interested in conducting ChemCollective Virtual Lab workshops by themselves can do so. They will also get exposed to the collaborative content creation activity of the FOSSEE Project.
Benefits of the Workshop
On successful completion of the workshop,participants will be able to
- Learn to perform basic chemistry laboratory experiments using ChemCollective Virtual Lab.
- Learn about ChemCollective resources that are useful in classroom teaching as well as other scientific and academic purposes.
- Certificate for attending the 3 day ChemCollective Virtual Lab workshop.
The aim of this workshop is to train the college teachers to provide online chemistry lab experience to the students who missed the practical lab sessions due to ongoing COVID pandemic. This will be useful for students to understand the basic chemistry lab experiments which were supposed to be covered in 1st and 2nd semester chemistry lab courses.
Although Chemistry labs are extremely important, because of the pandemic, no labs could be conducted in the current semester. It is possible that this situation will continue in the next semester also. ChemCollective Virtual Labs, proposed to be covered in this workshop, can mitigate this difficulty substantially, and has the potential to reduce the number of actual labs required to complete the learning process, whenever the contact labs resume.
The training will help teachers in using the ChemCollective Virtual lab software to develop their own lab courses using the reagents and apparatus available on the software interface.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- prepare standard solutions
- dilute solutions and measure pH
- measure density of solids and liquids
- perform experiments on solubility of solids
- determine solubility product
- perform acid-base titrations
- prepare buffer solutions
- perform metal displacement reactions
- Prof. Kannan Moudgalya, Faculty, Chemical Engineering Department, IIT Bombay.
- Dr. Lakshmy Ravishankar, Retired Faculty, Chemistry Department, V.G.Vaze College, Mumbai.
- Dr. Padmavathy. A, Faculty, Chemistry Department, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- Dr. Snehalatha Kaliappan, Senior Project Research Scientist, Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay.
The ChemCollective Virtual Lab workshop will be useful for below discipline:
- Engineering 1st year students
3 day workshop starting from 25 February to 27 February 2021. Every day there will be an online interactive/ hands-on session for 6 hours.
Participation certificates, in an electronic form, will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the workshop
₹ 450 (inclusive of GST)
₹ 950 (inclusive of GST)
₹ 2950 (inclusive of GST)
The application will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained. The link for online registration is :
The registration form will be available until 23 February 2021, 4.00 pm
- As the workshop is conducted online, it is mandatory to have a desktop/ laptop with an external mouse and a working internet connection with good bandwidth. The laptop should be capable of running ChemCollective Virtual Labs software. Technical Requirements:
- ChemCollective Virtual Labs Version 2.1.0 Following operating systems can be used for installing ChemCollective Virtual Labs:
- Windows: 64-bit, Windows 7 or above
- Linux: 64-bit, Ubuntu 16.04 or above
- Mac OS: 10.7 or newer