Jmol Application Beginner Workshop on 19 September 2020
Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
Jmol Application is a free and open source software developed in Java to view, create, and edit three-dimensional models of chemical structures, macromolecules (Crystal structures, Proteins, and Nucleic acids). It is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux Operating Systems. It is useful for classroom teaching and presentations. Useful for students, educators, and researchers in chemistry, biochemistry and pharmacy.
Methodology of the Workshop
The interested participants have to register online and pay the registration fee. The registration form will be available until 18 September 2020, 2.00 PM.
The “Jmol Application-Beginner” workshop will be 5-hours of watching relevant pre-recorded Spoken Tutorial videos with side-by-side learning, hands-on training, and interaction with experts. There will be course instructors to help you out in case you have any difficulties.
The following topics will be taught to the participants who are attending the “Jmol Application-Beginner” workshop. Depending on the level of the participant, one can learn any/all of the topics mentioned below. If one cannot complete all the topics, one can complete them later on, through self-learning, as all required Spoken Tutorials are freely available.
- Introduction to Jmol Application
- Creating and editing 3D molecular structures
- Measurement of bond length, bond angles and dihedral angles
- Atomic and Molecular Orbitals
- Geometric and Conformational Isomers
- Crystal structures and unitcell
- Proteins and Enzymes
- Animations and generating GIF files.
- How to incorporate Jmol views in PPT slides.
- Prof. Lakshmy Ravishankar, V.G. Vaze College, Mulund, Mumbai.
- Dr. Snehalatha Kaliappan, Spoken Tutorial Project IIT Bombay.
- Ms. Mayuri Shejale, V.G. Vaze College, Mulund, Mumbai.
This workshop will be useful to the students, faculty, and working professionals from the chemistry, biochemistry and pharmacy field. Students, faculty, and working professionals from allied fields with basic knowledge in chemistry and biochemistry are also welcome to join the workshop.
The workshop will be conducted online on Saturday, 19 September 2020, from 10 A.M to 5 P.M
Participation certificates will be provided to all participants after successful completion of the workshop, in an electronic form.
The application will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained.
The link for online registration is :
The last date of registration is 18 September 2020, 2.00 PM.
- As the workshop is conducted online, it is mandatory to have a laptop and a working internet connection with good bandwidth.
- It is mandatory to have Jmol Application Version 14.31.2 installed in the system to attend the workshop.
- Jmol application requires Java 1.4 or higher. It is recommended, if possible, to install the latest Java version from Oracle. You can have it installed by visiting www.java.com and following instructions therein.
- The installation sheet is available here.
- Following operating systems can be used for installing Jmol Application:
- Jmol runs without problems on Windows 32/64-bit 9x/XP/Vista/7/8/10 computers using Sun's java virtual machines
- Jmol runs without problems on Linux machines using Sun's java virtual machines.
- Jmol is fully compatible with MacOS X with Java installed.