Four Week AICTE approved FDP by IIT Bombay on - Use of ICT in Education for Online and Blended Learning
This MOOC based Faculty Development Program (FDP) will be conducted in a blended mode over a longer period as explained in ''Duration and Venue''
May 2nd, 2016 to July 10th, 2016
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Who Should Attend|
|Duration and Venue||Criteria for Certification||Course Fee|
|How to Apply||Accommodation||Note|
|Address For Communication|
click here to download the permission letter format
click here to download the brochure
IIT Bombay has been involved with distance synchronous education, since year 2000. We have trained over 1,00,000 teachers, in partnership with IIT Kharagpur, under the T10KT (Train 10 Thousand Teachers at a time) project sponsored by NMEICT. All training workshops so far, were on specific subjects of Engineering and Science Education, most of which are taught as core courses in our colleges and universities. These programs have been beneficial to the participating faculty.
Online educational methodology, and flipped-classrooms with associated pedagogy of active learning, have quickly emerged as the mainstay of effective education in this century. However most of our teachers lack skills and competencies for proper and effective use of ICT in education. It is thus an urgent national requirement that all our teachers, at least those teaching in our professional colleges, are empowered to use technology effectively, to enhance the quality of education.
To meet this requirement IIT Bombay has specially designed a Faculty Development Program (FDP) on "Use of ICT in Education for Online and Blended Learning ". This FDP is designed as a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course), with some face-to-face sessions at Remote Centres. It will be conducted beginning from 2 May 2016. Completion Certificates will be awarded by IIT Bombay to those participants, who successfully complete all online assessments, meaningfully participate in face-to-face sessions, and submit the prescribed team- assignment.
Module 1. Devices for information capture, storage, and display
- Traditional PCs – Keyboard, Monitor, Printer, Webcams, Mouse, Hard disks, Software
- Tablets and Smart Phones Servers, Cloud, Storage Farms, CD/DVD, Pen Drive
- Basics of Connectivity, LANs and WANs, Wireless and Bluetooth
- Organization of Web, IP Address, Domain Names, DNS Servers
- Browsers and Plug-ins
- Content and Learning Management Systems: Moodle and Drupal
- Real Time Classroom Assessment: Clicker Devices, Smart Phones
- Audio-Video Recording, Spoken Tutorial Methodology
- Academic Administration, Online Grade Submission,
- Cumulative Performance Index Computation
- Digital Content Creation: Word Processing, Change-Tracking, File-Formats
- Visual Communication, Design of Presentation Material
- Creating Handouts and Assignments for Online Usage
- History of Online Courses
- Introduction to Features of a MOOC Platform
- Designing and Developing a MOOC
- Conducting a MOOC
- Effective use of Discussion Forum
- Methods of Online Assessment
- Global and Indian Experience
- Need for Combining Online and F2F (Face-to-Face) Education
- The Flipped Classroom
- Pedagogy of Active learning, TPS (Think-Pair-Share),Group Discussions
- Collaborative Problem Solving, Peer Assessment
- Local Assessments, Evaluation of Reports and Presentations
- Recognition of Grades and Credits through MOOCs, in Regular Academic Programs
- Using Available Institutional Autonomy: Internal Assessment
- Encouraging Collaboration and Peer Review
- Factoring in Marks of Online Assessment in University Courses
- Contribution to OERs (Open Education Resources)
- Creating Edited and Focused Content
- Inviting and Recognizing Innovative Contributions
- Crowd-Sourcing Methods
- Quality Assurance
Prof. Deepak B. Phatak, Dept. of CSE, IIT Bombay
Prof. Sridhar Iyer, Dept. of CSE, IIT Bombay
Prof. Uday N. Gaitonde, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay
Prof. Sahana Murthy, Education Technology, IIT Bombay
As this FDP is not subject specific, teaching faculty from any domain, including faculty from management institutes and polytechnics can participate. Teachers registered in a Masters or a PhD program, during their employment as a teacher, can also participate.
This four week FDP is split into three components as follows:
1. Online work by individual participants: Each participant is expected to access the online platform, using a PC at home or office on any convenient day and time during the week, with an online test every week. Each participant has to spend 6 to 8 hours of efforts per week during this component of the FDP. This activity will be spread over 10 calendar weeks: 2 May 2016 to 10 July 2016.
2. Face-to-Face interaction: Participants will have to physically attend these sessions at their chosen/designated Remote Centers (RCs), established across the country by IIT Bombay. Focused interactive sessions with the participating teachers, will be conducted by the faculty from IIT Bombay. The discussions and local tutorial sessions will be moderated by the Workshop Coordinators appointed at each RC. This activity will be conducted on 3 weekends: 14, 15 May; 4, 5 June; and 25, 26 June 2016.
3. Team assignment: This is to be done by teams of 3 to 5 members, formed from amongst the participants at each RC. The team is required to create and review the assignment, and submit the same online. Here again, each participant has to spend adequate effort, albeit in a coordinated manner with other members of the team. It will be undertaken from 11 July 2016, after completion of the 10 weeks of online activity, and will have to be submitted within four calendar weeks, before 5 August 2016.Schedule:
- Online Activities: Monday 2 May to Sunday 10 July 2016
- Face to face interaction at RCs: 14, 15 May; 4, 5 June; 25 and 26 June 2016
- Team assignment : Monday 11 July onwards, to be completed within 4 calendar weeks.
Certificates will be issued by IIT Bombay, only to those participants who successfully complete prescribed online tests with minimum 50% aggregate score, meaningfully participate in face-to-face sessions, and submit the team assignment of an acceptable quality. AICTE will recognize this as a Four-week FDP.
The participants of the FDP will pay Rs.1000/- participation fee to the Remote Centers. The participation fee is primarily to cover the cost of conducting of face to face component of the FDP. The food and accommodation charges if any, are to be borne by the participants, apart from the participation fees.
SAP CSR activities are partially funding this FDP. That is the reason why there is no fees to be paid to IIT Bombay. In addition, it has been decided that 200 top performing participants of this FDP, will be given an SAP fellowship award of Rs. 5000 each. Further, these top performers will also be offered an opportunity to participate as associate faculty (with an appropriate honorarium, of course), for conducting this FDP in future.
Those wishing to attend this course, should register online. The registration will start from 19 April 2016. Please click here for the registration.
The last date of online registration is 6 May, 2016
Food and Accommodation during Face-to-Face activity:
Remote Centres may provide, at cost, tea/lunch on each day of the face to face interaction of FDP, and accommodation, wherever available*, for a limited number of outstation participants. All the facilities related to food and accommodation, are chargeable. Such charges may vary from place to place, and are available in the online registration form. Please make sure that you check the rates before you apply for these facilities. This is optional for the participant. This cost is not included as a part of the course fee.*Accommodation is not guaranteed.
Please note that this FDP is conducted under the T10KT project of IIT Bombay. Live recording of the course and other created content would be released under Open Source, through a portal. The recorded CD/DVD of the course lectures would be available for distribution at cost, to any individual/ institution. All participants are required to sign a No Objection certificate for such release of contents contributed by them during and after the FDP. All contributors will be acknowledged.
Dr. Mukta Atrey,
Sr. Project Manager,
Department of CSE, Kanwal Rekhi Building,
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay,
Mumbai - 400 076.
Tel.: +91-22-2576 4989
Fax: +91-22-2572 0022