Educational Services for Outreach at Scale (ESOS)
January 26th, 2021 to May 7th, 2021
|Course Content||Teaching Faculty||Duration and Venue|
|Who Should Attend||Course Fee and Certification||How to Apply|
|Note||Address For Communication|
click here to download the brochure
click here to download the Schedule
Learn basic computer programming skills and master the art of writing C/C++ programs to solve real-world problems. Basic concepts of computer programming are introduced, starting with the notion of an algorithm. Emphasis is on developing the ability to write programs to solve practical computational problems.
Learners will read and understand many sample programs and will have to write several on their own. This course deals with basic programming and sets the foundation for solid programming practices for beginners.
The topics covered in this course:
- Elements of C/C++ programming languages
- Basic data types
- Sequential and conditional execution
- Iterative solutions
- Arrays, matrices, and their applications
- Sorting and searching
- Elements of string processing
- Introduction to pointers
- Basics of Software Engineering
- File Processing
The detailed description is given below:
Topic 1: Procedures, programs, and computers
- Know the basic Architecture of a Computer
- Learn to write simple programs
- Get introduced to C++
- Learn how to process integers and the basic calculation concepts
Topic 2: Sequential and Conditional execution of Programs
- Differentiate between Arithmetic and C++ Programming
- Learn to write basic C++ programs
- Know how to solve problems using programming
- Familiarize with Sequential and Conditional Execution in C++
Topic 3: Iterative Solutions
- Learn the necessity and usage of Iteration
- Know the concept of Loops in C++
- Learn to use Loops and assignment operators
- Determine which loop is better suited for a problem
Topic 4: Functions
- Learn to use Function in programming
- Get introduced to calling functions
- Distinguish between different calling functions
- Know the proper usage of Recursion and Iteration
Topic 5: Arrays and Matrices
- Know the basics of Array
- Learn to solve problems using Arrays
- Learn the application of Matrices
- Learn data handling in C++
Topic 6: Sorting and Searching
- Know how to sort data in C++
- Distinguish between different sorting method
- Know the usability and limitations of each type of sort
- Learn how to run a search function
Topic 7: Strings and Pointers
- Learn about Strings and its application in C++
- Know more about Pointers
- Learn the usage of Pointers in calling functions
- Have a better understanding of the concepts of Dynamic Memory Allocation
- Know about the good programming practices
Topic 8: Structures
- Get introduced to Object Oriented Programming Structures
- Learn to write functions for implementing the structures
- Know the limitations which might occur while writing the functions
- Learn the relationship between pointers and structures
- Understand the concept of linking structures better
Topic 9: File Processing
- Learn to access files through C++
- Learn to write functions to process data within files
- Know how to create and access binary file
- Learn to process the file without actually reading the data
Topic 10: Looking Ahead
- Get introduced to Software Engineering
- Know the types of Software
- Familiarize with the principles of software engineering
Prof. Deepak B Phatak, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of CSE, IIT Bombay
Prof. Supratik Chakraborty, Dept. of CSE, IIT Bombay
Mr. Nagesh Karmali, Sr. Manager (Research), Dept. of CSE, IIT Bombay
Ms. Firuza Karmali (Aibara), Project Manager,Dept. of CSE, IIT Bombay
December 31, 2020
February 15, 2021
January 26, 2021
May 7, 2021
This course will be conducted in a self-paced mode, i.e. all the lecture videos, slides, reading materials, activities, and graded assignments will be released on when the course starts. This gives you the flexibility of progressing and completing the graded assignments at your own pace. However, but one would need to complete them before the course ends.
The course can be taken by any learner who desires to learn to program. Knowledge of high school mathematics is essential and adequate. Exposure to pre-calculus is desirable.
The registration fee for the course is Rs. 475/-. However, register before 26 January 2021 for Rs. 375/- only to avail an early bird registration discount.
Important Payment Instruction:
Please note that the registration fee once paid is neither refundable nor adjustable under any circumstances.
While making a payment for the course,
(i) If you receive a transaction failure message and your amount is NOT debited, please pay again by logging in to IITBombayX-LAKSHYA programme(https://www.it.iitb.ac.in/lakshya) website.
(ii) If your amount is debited and you still receive a transaction failure message, please DO NOT make another payment. Send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with cc to Eoutreach email@example.com with a subject "Transaction failure but amount debited". Also, provide the transaction details in the mail. You will soon receive a reply from us on the same.
Honor Code e-Certificates will be issued on successful completion of the course based on the grading policy mentioned in the course. Please note that all e-certificates will be issued online after the course ends on 7 May 2021. No hard copies will be given.
Enrollment will be strictly online, and no other mode of application will be entertained. The online registration is available from 31 December 2020 till 15 February 2021.
Course registration steps for the IITBombayX-Lakshya portal:
- Once you select the course of your interest from the homepage. A page will open where Click on the link “Click here for registration form” to get enrolled for this course.
- You will be prompted to enter your email address.
- If you have already registered in our earlier courses: Use your existing email id and password to get enrolled.
- If you are here for the first time: A form will open where you have to enter the OTP (received in the entered email), password and other required details and press SUBMIT button (for your account creation).
The course content is released under Open Source License. All participants must agree that the content contributed by them in any form, (assignments, questions, etc.) would be released under Open Source Licence, by accepting the terms mentioned under ‘No Objection Certificate’. All contributors will be acknowledged.